If you experience fear or anxiety when faced with a visit to the dentist, you are not alone. Here are some tips for overcoming dental anxiety.
In order to understand how to overcome your fears and anxieties surrounding the dentist, it may be beneficial to identify the root cause of the issue.
Some common causes of dental anxiety or fear include:
- Fear of pain
- Anxiety of injections or needles
- Fear of dental tools and instruments
- Fear of the unknown
- Embarrassment about oral health
- A past negative experience with the dentist (usually during childhood)
- Misconceptions about treatment (usually stemming from television shows and movies)
- Generalized anxiety/social anxiety
Identifying and understanding the cause of your dental anxiety will help immensely in overcoming it.
For many people, fear of the unknown can be a strong factor. Doing some thorough online research can help you build a solid idea of what to expect during your time in the dental chair.
If you are trying to choose a new dentist, reading online reviews can give you an inside look at practices that you are considering.
If you already have a dentist and you have been recommended for treatment, reading up online about the treatment you need will answer any questions you may have and break down exactly what will be done while you’re in the chair.
Of course, you can always discuss your treatment plan in length with your dentist. Here at Reza Dental Care, Dr. Reza and his team of professionals are always happy to explain treatment and help patients feel more comfortable about their time in the chair.
During open discussions with your dentist, you can:
- Ask for a more thorough explanation of your treatment
- Ask for information about various dental tools and what they are used for
- Discuss objects or scenarios which are triggering for your dental anxiety
- Ensure that all necessary precautions are taken to ensure your comfort
Opening up about any concerns or fears you may have about your treatment will help your dentist better understand how to make you more comfortable. While we take care to ensure that all of our patients are comfortable, knowing that specific aspects of your treatment are a trigger for you will help us design a routine and treatment plan that will work best for you and keep you calm and happy.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that a good dentist will never judge you for having fears or concerns, and they will always do what they can to help you feel more confident about your time at the dentist. Here at Reza Dental Care, this is always a judge-free zone; don’t be afraid to share your concerns with us!
Once you have expressed your concerns or fears to your dentist, he or she can help you find ways to make your time in the dental chair more comfortable.
Here are some ways that you and your dentist can work to accommodate your needs and make you feel more at home and less anxious:
- Establish visual cues during treatment – many patients will raise their left hand to alert their dentist when they need a break or are feeling any sort of discomfort.
- Bring in some headphones and listen to your favorite tunes while you are in the chair: For many people, this makes the experience much more enjoyable – especially for those who have a hard time with the sound of the dental drill.
- Some dental offices provide televisions for their patients to watch while they are in the chair: this can make the office feel a bit more homey, and helps many patients relax and keep their mind occupied.
- Practice breathing techniques: Controlled breathing techniques can be beneficial for slowing the body’s heart rate and relaxing thoroughly.
The best way to find what works best for you is to discuss your concerns with your dentist openly to find a solution.
The best way to ensure that you will not have to undergo anxiety-inducing dental procedures is to maintain a healthy smile. This can be done by brushing and flossing twice daily – ensuring that you are brushing thoroughly for two minutes each time.
It is also important to ensure that you follow up with your scheduled check-up and cleaning appointments; it is during these appointments that your dentist can give you advice on managing your oral health and get you scheduled for any treatment that you may need.
Preventative dental care is truly the key, but in the case that you need restorative dental care, no worries; your dentist will always have your best interest, and he or she will work with you to develop a treatment plan that best suits you.
If you are still finding yourself a bit nervous or anxious about your dental treatment, it is important to give yourself some credit and pat yourself on the back.
Dealing with your anxieties and overcoming your fear of the dentist is no easy feat, and it’s important to take it one step at a time and keep in mind that even the smallest step forward is a major accomplishment.
That first step into the dental office can often be the hardest for many people, but Reza Dental Care’s experienced and kind team of dental professionals are here to help you every step of the way.
Reza Dental Care: Quality and affordable local dentist in South Gate, CA
Reza Dental Care is here to help you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile; we are proud to provide comprehensive dental and orthodontic care in South Gate, California.
Searching for the “best dentist near me”? Our team of professionals is here for you. For more information about our friendly dentist in South Gate or to get scheduled for an appointment in our South Gate dental office, book an appointment online or give us a call at 323-547-8787.