If you have a cavity, you’ll need to have your dentist place a filling. This process entails removing and replacing the decayed portion of the tooth in order to ensure the decay doesn’t progress and you can enjoy a functional tooth. Follow along our dentist and his team will guide you through the filling process and offer more information about the treatments available at our South Gate, CA dental practice::
Composite Dental Fillings
Composite fillings may present a more natural-looking alternative to amalgam fillings. Due to patient cosmetic preferences, composite fillings have become the preferred choice for fillings in most American dental offices. Some of the most advantageous aspects of composite fillings include:
- Aesthetics: Composite fillings can be matched to your natural tooth shade fairly closely, making them ideal for teeth in more visible areas of the mouth.
- Multi-use: While many filling materials are used to just fill in decayed areas, composite fillings can also be used to repair teeth that have suffered chips or wear.
- Bonding: Because composite fillings are bonded to the structure of your tooth, your tooth will receive even more support.
If aesthetics are your main concern, your best bet is probably composite fillings. Speak with your dental professional to determine if composite fillings are a good option for you.
Amalgam Dental Fillings
Silver fillings, or amalgam, are composed of a number of elements, including mercury, tin, silver, copper, and zinc. Advantages of this treatment include:
- Durability: Amalgam fillings are durable, making them a long-lasting option.
- Price point: Amalgam fillings usually cost less than composite fillings, meaning you may prefer them if budget is a consideration.
- Strength: These fillings are able to withstand the force exerted by chewing.
Amalgam fillings have been used in the dental field for over 150 years, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). As the least expensive filling option available, amalgam fillings are a popular choice for millions of dental patients in the U.S. and around the world.
What is the procedure like?
If you’re worried about the filling procedure, don’t be! The process is meant to be fairly quick and painless. Your dentist will begin by numbing the area they’ll be working on. Then, they can remove any decay as necessary and fill the tooth. Fillings can be completed in a single sitting and are a low-stress treatment that will provide you with a comfortable, functioning mouth for years to come.
Experienced Dentist in South Gate, CA
For high-quality, comprehensive dental care, reach out to Reza Dental Care. Our dentist and his friendly, skilled team can provide any dental services you seek, from fillings to orthodontics. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or learn more about our dental services in South Gate, CA!