Root canals can be used to save your teeth
If the pulp and nerves of your tooth have become severely damaged, your dentist may recommend root canal therapy as a treatment option. Root canals can help save you from further infection and tooth extraction, making them an important procedure in modern dentistry. Learn more about how Dr. Reza Ghasemi and his team at Reza Dental Care use root canal procedures to help patients in South Gate, CA.
What causes infection?
Infection in the pulp area of the tooth may set in for a number of reasons. Some of the most common causes of infection include:
- Broken or cracked tooth.
- Severe cavity.
- Injury to the tooth, whether visible or not.
If you find yourself in a situation that requires a root canal, you may also be suffering from pain and inflammation in the affected area. Your dentist will be able to clean, disinfect, and place a filling over the space.
Modern Dental Techniques for Your Comfort
Root canals have a reputation for being a particularly painful treatment. However, with modern technology and anesthesia, the procedure is often completed with little discomfort on your end. At our South Gate, CA office, we make use of the WaveOne Gold system to perform root canals. This advanced technology creates a safer and shorter patient experience, and most root canals are completed in a single office visit.
The Importance of Root Canals
Although root canal therapy has a less than stellar opinion in the public eye, the treatment is incredibly important in preserving your oral health. Some of the advantages of root canals is that they can:
- Save your natural teeth: While there are many amazing restorative options in dentistry that grow in number by the day, nothing can replace the look, feel, and function of your natural teeth. Because of the high success rate of root canals, most treated teeth will last you a lifetime.
- Stops spread of infection: Your dentist will remove the harmful bacteria that is causing your infection during a root canal. After the disinfection process, the bacteria will be unable to spread to the rest of your mouth, sparing your other teeth from infection.
- Preserves jawbone: Along with preserving your natural teeth, root canal therapy can also help you preserve your natural jawbone. When you lose a tooth, your jaw will lose mass and volume over time, eventually leading to a loss in structure and strength. Because a root canal allows you to keep your natural teeth, you’ll also enjoy a strong, healthy jawbone for years to come.
- Aids overall health: At Dr. Reza Dental Care, we recognize the importance of the oral-systemic connection. If you have an oral health problem, it may affect aspects of your overall health, even increasing your risk of heart disease, respiratory infections, and other illnesses.
If needed, root canal therapy can prove an effective and long-lasting treatment for those suffering from an infected or inflamed pulp area. With all the added health benefits that come from root canals, you can also aid your body in fending off disease.
Premier Dental Treatment Near You
It can be challenging to find a dentist who can cover all of your dental needs. At Dr. Reza Dental Care, our South Gate, CA office serves as your one-stop-shop for dental treatment. Root canal therapy, along with the majority of dental procedures, can be easily performed in-house.
For more complicated cases, an endodontist visits on a monthly basis, so you can be confident you’re receiving the high-quality treatment you deserve in one convenient location. Contact Dr. Reza Dental Care today to learn how root canal therapy and other treatments can help you become more comfortable and confident in your smile.