Root canals can be used to save your teeth
If the pulp and nerves of your tooth have become severely damaged, your dentist may recommend root canal therapy as a treatment option. Root canals can help save you from further infection and tooth extraction, making them an important procedure in modern dentistry. Learn more about how Reza Dental Care team help patients in South Gate, CA.
What causes infection?
Infection in the pulp area of the tooth may set in for a number of reasons. Some of the most common causes of infection include:
- Broken or cracked tooth.
- Severe cavity.
- Injury to the tooth, whether visible or not.
If you find yourself in a situation that requires a root canal, you may also be suffering from pain and inflammation in the affected area. Your dentist will be able to clean, disinfect, and place a filling over the space.
Do I need root canal therapy in South Gate?
When you visit our office in South Gate, California, we will thoroughly examine your teeth and determine if you need root canal therapy. Here are some potential symptoms and signs that may indicate this:
- Extreme sensitivity to hot or cold food and drink.
- Teeth that have cracked down to the gum line.
- toothache Pain from an existing dental filling.
- When experiencing severe toothache pain while eating or chewing.
- Swelling and tenderness of the gum.
Is root canal therapy really painful?
With modern technology and anesthesia, the procedure is often completed with little discomfort on your end. At our South Gate, CA office, we make use of the WaveOne Gold system to perform. This advanced technology creates a safer and shorter patient experience, and most procedures will be complete in a single office visit.
The Importance of Root Canals
Although this therapy has a less than stellar opinion in the public eye, the treatment is incredibly important in preserving your oral health. Some of the advantages of root canals is that they can:
- Save your natural teeth: While there are many amazing restorative options in dentistry that grow in number by the day, nothing can replace the look, feel, and function of your natural teeth. Because of the high success rate of root canals, most treated teeth will last you a lifetime.
- Stops spread of infection: Your dentist will remove the harmful bacteria that is causing your infection. After the disinfection process, the bacteria will be unable to spread to the rest of your mouth, sparing your other teeth from infection.
- Preserves jawbone: Along with preserving your natural teeth, root canal therapy can also help you preserve your natural jawbone. When you lose a tooth, your jaw will lose mass and volume over time, eventually leading to a loss in structure and strength. Because it allows you to keep your natural teeth, you’ll also enjoy a strong, healthy jawbone for years to come.
- Aids overall health: At Reza Dental Care, we recognize the importance of the oral-systemic connection. If you have an oral health problem, it may affect aspects of your overall health, even increasing your risk of heart disease, respiratory infections, and other illnesses.
If needed, root canal therapy can prove an effective and long-lasting treatment for those suffering from an infected or inflamed pulp area. With all the added health benefits, you can also aid your body in fending off disease.
What is the root canal process?
To begin treatment, you will be thoroughly numbed to ensure that you do not feel any pain or discomfort. All damaged or decayed tooth structure will be removed, and the dentist will enter the central canal of the tooth. The infected central nerve will be removed, and the canal will be thoroughly sterilized. A synthetic material called gutta-percha will be placed inside the canal, which will then be sealed off. A large filling will be placed inside the tooth, and the dentist will adjust the bite. Treatment is then complete; you will then likely be asked to return to have a dental crown placed over the tooth.
Premier Edodontist Near South Gate, California
It can be challenging to find a dentist who can cover all of your dental needs. At Reza Dental Care in our South Gate, CA office serves as your one-stop-shop for dental treatment. Root canal therapy, along with the majority of dental procedures, can be easily performed in-house.
For more complicated cases, an endodontist visits on a monthly basis, so you can be confident you’re receiving the high-quality treatment you deserve in one convenient location.
Do you think you might need a root canal in in south gate? Schedule a free consolation today at Reza Dental Care.
Root Canal FAQ
Some symptoms that may indicate you need a root canal are an extreme sensitivity to hot and cold, pain or discomfort, soreness in the jaw, or fever. In order to determine if you need a root canal, we will conduct a thorough examination.
No, this procedure simply entails the removal of the natural nerve and a very large filling to preserve the structure of the natural tooth.
In some cases, requires two appointments; one appointment to identify the need for the root canal, and one appointment to carry out the treatment. This does occur sometimes, but not always; a root canal can be finished in one visit when possible. It is always our goal to get our patients out of pain or discomfort as quickly as possible.
The only other option is to remove it – though it is always better to preserve the natural tooth rather than remove it.
Root canals are needed when the tooth has sustained a large amount of damage or decay. To avoid it, be sure to keep up with brushing and flossing twice daily, as well as your regular dental check-up and cleanings. Avoid sugary and acidic foods and beverages. If you play contact sports, always ensure that you wear a mouthguard.