When you think of proper oral care, your teeth are probably the first thing to come to mind. However, there are many components that comprise a healthy mouth, one of the most notable being your gums. If you contract gum disease, it can cause a whole host of issues for your mouth. With our team at Dr. Reza Dental Care, learn more about how periodontics can help prevent and treat gum disease.
What is periodontics?
Dentistry is composed of many different areas of specialization, with periodontics focusing primarily on gum disease and dental implants. Depending on your stage of gum disease and the status of your oral health, your dentist will be able to recommend treatment options or refer you out to a skilled periodontist.
Fortunately, at Dr. Reza Ghasemi’s South Gate, CA dental practice, we handle all of our periodontics procedures in-house, so you can access all of your dental care in one place. Explore the variety of dental treatments we offer to aid in the fight against gum disease:
The first line of defense we use against gum disease is regular teeth cleaning, which we perform at your biannual dental examination. Before the dentist examines your teeth, an oral hygienist will:
- First, examine your mouth and gums for any immediate signs of oral health problems that need to be addressed. If any issues are found, the dentist may be called in before the cleaning can proceed.
- Then, use a scaler to remove any plaque and tartar that have accumulated on your teeth and around your gum line. Remember, by maintaining good brushing and flossing habits at home, you can simplify this process by reducing the amount of tartar the hygienist must remove.
- Finally, the hygienist will perform professional brushing and flossing. Using a high-powered electric brush and expert flossing techniques, they can access the hard-to-reach spaces you can’t get to at home.
Besides maintaining good oral hygiene at home, having your teeth professionally cleaned is highly beneficial to your oral health. If additional cleaning is needed, our South Gate, CA office may recommend a deep cleaning.
In this non-surgical process, your dentist or certified dental hygienist will deep clean your teeth. This treatment may be recommended for those with bleeding or receding gums, among other issues. Deep cleaning can also help:
- Protect your teeth and teeth roots.
- Stop gum disease in its tracks.
- Ease bad breath.
By removing the tartar buildup on your teeth, deep cleaning can help combat gum inflammation and other periodontal issues. Deep cleanings usually occur over two or more visits, with each visit lasting an hour or more.
Gingivectomy removes excess gum tissue. This procedure is also helpful for those with gum disease to help prevent future harm and provide easier cleaning access to the teeth.
If your dentist recommends a gingivectomy, expect it to last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Minor procedures can usually be completed in a single office visit, while more complex cases may take several visits to allow adequate time for healing.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you are suffering from gum disease or just need to visit the dentist in South Gate for a checkup, feel free to reach out to us at Reza Dental Care. Our South Gate, CA dental practice is fully equipped to handle all of your dental needs. Contact us today to learn how we can help you reach your oral health goals!