At Reza Dental Care in South Gate, CA, we understand that making decisions about your oral health plays a significant part in both your quality of life and overall wellness. Dental crowns are an important investment in both your smile’s integrity and appearance, playing a unique role in repairing broken, decayed, or worn-out teeth.
Investing in a custom dental crown allows you to eat the foods you love, prevent additional tooth damage, and smile with confidence. With proper care and maintenance, dental crowns can last for many years, preserving your natural smile for as long as possible.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Full-coverage crowns, also known as dental caps, are versatile restorations that serve as protective covers for damaged, weak, worn, or root-canal-treated teeth. These custom-made restorations encase the entire visible portion of the tooth above the gumline, providing strength, protection, and improved aesthetics. By protecting the tooth on every side, crowns reinforce the underlying structures and prevent additional wear during everyday biting or chewing.
Dental crowns can be crafted from various materials, including porcelain, zirconia, ceramic, gold, or other metal alloys.
When Dental Crowns Are Needed
How do you know if you need a dental crown or not? Our South Gate dentist may recommend one if you fit one of the following criteria:
- To Protect a Weak/Worn Tooth: Teeth that have been significantly weakened due to extensive decay, large fillings, or fractures are at risk of further damage during everyday use. Dental crowns provide essential reinforcement and protection, preserving the tooth’s structure and function.
- Restoring a Broken or Fractured Tooth: Accidents or injuries can result in chipped, broken, or fractured teeth. Dental crowns are an effective solution to restore these teeth to their original shape and strength, especially when the area is too large to repair with composite bonding.
- For Major Aesthetic Concerns: If your tooth is severely discolored or misshaped, covering it with a dental crown can help enhance its appearance. And unlike veneers, crowns protect the tooth from each side.
- After a Root Canal: Teeth that have undergone root canal treatment often become more brittle and susceptible to fractures. Placing a dental crown on an endodontically treated tooth helps prevent it from breaking and ensures its longevity.
- On Top of Dental Implants: If you are replacing a single tooth with an implant, our South Gate dentist will also need to attach an abutment and crown to fill in the visible portion of your new “tooth.”
How Dental Crowns Are Placed
The process of getting dental crowns typically involves two to three visits to our South Gate dental office:
- Consultation and Examination: During your initial visit, our experienced dentist will assess your oral health, take X-rays for diagnostic purposes, and discuss your treatment options. If a dental crown is recommended, we will explain the process and answer any questions you may have.
- Tooth Preparation: If you need a crown, you’ll return to Reza Dental Care to have the tooth prepped. This involves numbing the tooth and then removing any damaged or decayed areas, and then shaping the tooth to ensure a proper fit for the crown. Impressions of the prepared tooth are taken and sent to our lab, where they will create a custom crown that fits along with your natural teeth.
- Temporary Crown: While your final crown is being fabricated in our dental laboratory, we will place a temporary crown over your prepped tooth to protect it. This temporary restoration will also help limit sensitivity as well as serve an aesthetic purpose while you’re waiting on your final crown delivery.
- Crown Placement: Once your final crown design is ready, you’ll return to Reza Dental Care to have it tried in and placed. Our South Gate dentist will remove the temporary crown, ensure that the permanent crown fits properly, and make any necessary adjustments. Then your crown will be permanently cemented in place. We will also provide you with home care instructions to ensure your new crown lasts as long as possible.
The Cost of Dental Crowns
The cost of dental crowns can vary depending on several factors, including the type of material used, the complexity of the procedure, and several other factors. Generally, the price range for a single dental crown in South Gate, CA can be anywhere from $800 to $1,000 on average. Reza Dental Care provides each of our clients with an itemized treatment plan so that they know the associated costs before committing to any type of treatment.
It’s essential to keep in mind that dental crowns are a long-term investment in your oral health and overall well-being. While the upfront cost may seem like a sizeable investment, consider the long-term benefits and potential cost savings associated with preserving your natural teeth.
Does insurance cover dental crowns cost?
Using dental insurance is an ideal way to offset some of the expenses associated with dental crown procedures. Insurance providers often cover dental crowns when they are necessary for maintaining good oral health, such as addressing cracked, damaged, weakened, or worn teeth. However, if a crown is primarily intended for cosmetic purposes, insurance typically does not provide coverage, as it doesn’t contribute to the patient’s oral health. Reza Dental Care is an insurance-friendly dental office in South Gate, CA, and we are pleased to work with various insurance plans. Our team can help check your benefits by filing insurance paperwork on your behalf and help maximize your benefits.
Affording Dental Crowns Without Insurance
Today it’s fairly common to not have access to dental insurance, but that shouldn’t deter you from the dental care you need. Here are some options to help make dental crowns more affordable:
- Dental Financing Plans: At Reza Dental Care, we offer flexible payment options that allow you to finance your dental treatment in manageable monthly installments. This can ease the financial burden and allow you to complete treatment in a timely manner.
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA): If you have an HSA or FSA, you can use pre-tax dollars to cover the cost of dental crowns or other dental work.
- Discount Plans: Some dental offices offer discount plans or memberships that provide reduced fees for various dental services, including crowns. These plans can be an excellent option for individuals without dental insurance.
- Discuss Payment Options: Don’t hesitate to discuss your financial concerns with our team at Reza Dental Care. We are committed to helping you find a solution that fits your budget and ensures you receive the necessary dental care.
If you’re considering dental crowns as a solution for your dental needs, we encourage you to schedule a consultation at Reza Dental Care in South Gate, CA. Our skilled and compassionate dental team will assess your unique needs, answer your questions, and create a personalized treatment plan that fits your budget and lifestyle.
Contact us today to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward a healthier, more beautiful smile.